Richard Wright

author of strange, dark fictions

Journal

Dying Days

March 15, 2007 by Richard Wright in Journal, Life

It will soon be time for a sad parting. One of my very nearest and dearest is struggling through the dying days, and it will fall to me, I fear, to end the misery, and deliver the final quietus. I don’t want to, but sometimes it is better to be cruel in the pursuit of kindness, than allow a suffering to continue.

So, at the start of next month, I shall purchase a new computer, and consign the current one to… er… wherever obsolete personal computers go when they die. I imagine a place of ghettos, where Macs refuse to talk to PCs, and PCs in turn turn Macs away at the doors of all the best nightspots. Just because they more or less get on these days, we must not forget or forgive the recent segregations that divided us.

As for the next computer – probably a laptop. My funds are limited, so I’m likely looking at a stop-gap measure while I make my way towards something that will keep me going another four years or so. We shall see.

So, farewell computer. Enjoy these final weeks, for soon they will be at an end…

Tagged , ,

Related Posts

10 Comments

1. stephMarch 16, 2007 at 3:06 pm

it’s always a sad time. but it can also be exciting! and shiny!
    are you a mac or pc guy, out of curiosity?

2. Richard WrightMarch 16, 2007 at 6:48 pmAuthor

PC at the moment. I was saving up to make the leap to a Mac, but events have overtaken me, and I’m going to have to go with a cheaper PC just now. Next time, I’ve promised myself, a Mac is the way forward…

3. TimMarch 19, 2007 at 2:20 am

You looked at the Mac mini? They’re good and cheap.

And how the devil are you? 🙂

4. Richard WrightMarch 19, 2007 at 4:04 pmAuthor

Heyup mate – grand(ish) thanks. Yourself? Good to cyber-see you.

Thought about cheaper Mac options, but determined to get a laptop this time (hard to set up a distraction free office space in the house, so flexibility is needed)…

5. JackieMarch 19, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Please accept my condolences and congratulations all rolled into one.

6. MarkMarch 20, 2007 at 11:16 am

I’m in the market for a new machine too – I want to get away from the desktop, but funds are slightly limited. How stupid is it to buy a fairly cheap laptop, with the idea to run it into the ground within a couple of years, before buying a big, shiny new monster? Which, as it happens, will pretty much coincide with Matthew starting school, ho hum.

7. Richard WrightMarch 20, 2007 at 4:59 pmAuthor

Not stupid at all – it’s my plan exactly! I figure that a cheap laptop can’t be a bad thing to own, even when I end up replacing the desktop, so no harm done in the long run…

8. Omer Farouk SayedSeptember 21, 2008 at 2:11 am

I was a 18 year old who landed up in England to do his ‘A’ back in 1976.It was a stranged and unfamilar place .Thanks to a pal of mine Dave Betts who introduce me to Rock music, that helped in copng with the lonelyness and cold (I am from Pakistan)of England.
    I was deeply saddened by the tragic demise of Mr Ric Wright. He was one of my heros who helped me in adjusting to the alian enviroment of England. A few beers and music is the best way to get loose.
    May Allah Grant Ric eternal peace and may He give Strength to his family to cope with his tragic death.
    SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIMOND NOW YOU ARE IN THE GREATEST GIG IN THE SKY. Rock on you will never be forgotten.
    Omer

P.S
    If this is the wrong web site Please Please pass this message to concerned persons for Richard Wright of Pink Flyod

9. Richard WrightSeptember 21, 2008 at 11:35 pmAuthor

Sorry my friend, wrong site, and wrong Richard Wright. Should other googlers be drawn here by the double whammy of ‘dying’ and ‘Richard Wright’ on the same page, please note, I’m not dead, I don’t play an instrument, and I don’t know Pink Floyd.

10. Omer Farouk SayedSeptember 22, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Sorry Mr Wright. As many get their energy from your work just the same I get my energy from the expired Mr Wright. You can delete my posting from your website. May you live long and prosper. quote un quote

Newsletter Signup