Richard Wright

author of strange, dark fictions

Journal

I Have Choices

November 20, 2006 by Richard Wright in Journal, News, Writing

Five of them, in fact. My contributor copies of the new anthology from Pendragon Press, Choices, arrived this morning. They’re very beautiful things indeed. You can have one too, towards the end of next month, and can place your order now if you wish (US or UK).

This is actually quite an important book for me, for reasons I haven’t yet mentioned. The last time I was published in an anthology was a not insignificant four years ago, in John Pelan’s The Darker Side. Since then I’ve had a marriage go pear-shaped, lost contact with my son, and struggled to keep up with my own plans for my life. This feels like a corner turned, and the start of an upward climb. There will be more such books in the next couple of years, but this particular anthology – one I’m proud to be in for a variety of reasons, not least the quality of the book itself – is rather special.

I hope you’ll pick up a copy, and be able to agree.

Tagged ,

Related Posts

7 Comments

1. stephNovember 21, 2006 at 8:43 pm

I will definitely be ordering it. I know what you mean about when something bridges those transitory periods of life, and how out of sorts it can feel. But you seem to be coming through it okay, and I’m glad of that.

2. Richard WrightNovember 23, 2006 at 8:06 amAuthor

That’s sweet – thank you Steph. We shall see what happens over the next year or so. I wouldn’t be surprised if life looks very different, over there.

3. JackieDecember 3, 2006 at 3:03 pm

You’ve also GAINED a lot in the last couple of years. Two very wonderful ladies. With one person’s idiocy, comes another person’s joy. And I have no doubt you are the joy of their lives. I’m sorry to hear that you don’t have much contact with your son, but living in separate countries and dealing with a difficult ex will do that. From my vantage point, you haven’t done anything wrong. Even your occasional procrastination is warranted; you need downtime to refuel the muse.

Keep on keepin’ on, brother!

p.s. I ordered “Choices” already and can’t wait!

4. Richard WrightDecember 3, 2006 at 10:37 pmAuthor

That is because you’re beautiful, and wise.

As for the occasional procrastination – I know what you mean, though I wish it weren’t so! What I need is the Energiser Bunny of muses…

5. JackieDecember 4, 2006 at 6:13 pm

You have the LEAST amount of procrastination of any writer I know, but there’s always a tiny bit. You just have to allow yourself a tiny bit of wiggle room. It’s important, I think. (On the other hand, I allow myself way TOO much procrastination on my writing…) A happy balance would be good. But as you commented on my blog on this topic, you don’t know much about that elusive creature, Balance.

Heh.

6. Christopher TeagueDecember 5, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Glad they arrived safely, Richard; the bookplates to sign shouldn’t be too long…

7. Richard WrightDecember 5, 2006 at 3:11 pmAuthor

I shall keep an eye out for them. Making my way through the book as we speak, and enjoying the hell out of it – makes me even more chuffed to be a part of it.

Newsletter Signup